Cheek Reduction Surgery for Individuals in the Tampa Bay Area
Chubby cheeks are cute on babies, but can often be a source of embarrassment for adults. Retaining chubby cheeks throughout adulthood is usually due to genetics, and it’s something that Dr. Manik S. Bedi at Tampa Surgical Arts can help with. We provide cheek reduction surgery for individuals in Dunedin, Florida, and throughout the Tampa Bay area, and it is a simple procedure that can allow people to enjoy the sculpted facial features they’ve always coveted.
Cheek Reduction Surgery Defined
We’re all born with buccal fat pads in our cheeks. These fat deposits are located between our nostrils and the corners of our mouth. Their primary function is to assist with chewing and sucking, and their mass lessens as we age and need less assistance with these tasks. However, not everyone sees a reduction in their buccal fat pads, a condition that is often hereditary. A cheek reduction will lessen the amount of buccal fat in the cheek, resulting in a more distinct jawline, improved facial contours, and enhanced cheekbones.
How a Cheek Reduction Is Performed
Patients are put under IV sedation or general anesthesia for the surgery, and then Dr. Bedi will make a small incision on the inside of the cheek. This allows him to locate the buccal fat pad and determine how much of it to remove. Generally, a laser or radiowave device will be used to dissolve the fat, and then the incision is closed using dissolving sutures.
Benefits of Cheek Reduction Surgery
You’ll smile wider and brighter, thanks to the following benefits:
- A cheek reduction is a non-invasive procedure that doesn’t result in scars.
- The post-operative healing period is fairly easy and you’ll be able to resume normal activities in less than a week.
- Your face will have a more sculpted look with recognizable cheekbones and facial contours.
Treatment Considerations for Cheek Reduction Surgery
Since a cheek reduction is performed under sedation or general anesthesia, patients should be in good physical health to ensure they can handle the procedure and recovery period. You’ll also want to be sure a family member or friend can drive you to and from the surgery center and stay with you a few hours after the procedure.
Additionally, depending on the results you’re looking to obtain, a cheek reduction can be completed in conjunction with other facial surgeries, such as chin augmentation or facial liposuction. Dr. Bedi will be happy to discuss the benefits of combining these procedures together and what you can expect.
Pre- and Post-Op Guidelines
When you meet with Dr. Bedi to discuss cheek reduction surgery, you’ll receive comprehensive pre- and post-op care instructions so you know exactly what to do before and after the procedure. Plus, our team here at Tampa Surgical Arts is always here to answer your questions because your comfort level is a top concern for us. Here is some of what you can expect after surgery:
- Eating – Expect to eat a liquid diet during the first 24-hour period following your surgery and then a soft food diet for five days. After that, you can resume your regular eating routine.
- Activity – Any strenuous exercise or heavy lifting should be avoided for a week following the procedure, but you’re encouraged to participate in light activity, such as taking a walk outside.
- Swelling – Swelling is a normal part of the recovery process and should reduce within three weeks, if not sooner.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you want to schedule a consultation at Tampa Surgical Arts to learn more about cheek reduction surgery, contact us today and we’ll be glad to set that up. You can also fill out our online form. We’re proud to serve clients in Dunedin, FL, and throughout the Tampa Bay area and always exercise discretion.