Dental Extractions for Individuals in the Tampa Bay Area
While keeping your natural teeth intact is always the goal, there are times when a dental extraction is necessary. For example, teenagers undergoing orthodontia may need to have one or two teeth removed to make room for other teeth to shift into place. Or if you have a tooth that is decayed or infected, an extraction will help to keep the infection from spreading. Impacted teeth, as well, require this procedure. The team at Tampa Surgical Arts in Odessa, Florida, performs dental extractions for individuals of all ages in the Tampa Bay area, and we’ll be glad to provide the expert services you seek.
About the Procedure
A dental extraction is a relatively simple outpatient procedure. You’ll be given a local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth being extracted and then the tooth will be quickly and safely removed. Some patients may require additional bone grafting depending on the tooth’s location. This is because removing a natural tooth can affect the structure of the jawbone and lead to jawbone loss. Bone grafting will ensure the jawbone can maintain its natural structure, and it also paves the way for a dental implant in the future.
What to Expect During Recovery
Once your dental extraction is complete, you’ll be able to go home to recover. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- The gauze we place over your surgical site is important—bite down on it for at least an hour to aid in clot formation.
- Reduce swelling by applying an ice pack to your cheek for 10 minutes at a time.
- Do not use a straw for at least a few days. Doing so risks dislodging the clot and can lead to a painful condition called dry socket.
- In the first 24 hours after the extraction, do not rinse your mouth at all. After that time period, you’ll want to start rinsing regularly with salt water (half a teaspoon of salt mixed with 8 ounces of warm water).
- Eat only soft foods following your procedure. (You can reintroduce other foods after 24 hours.)
Schedule a Consultation
If a dental extraction has been recommended by your dentist, we can help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. Our clinic is located in Odessa, FL, and we serve patients throughout the Tampa Bay area.